[MOSAIC] Student teacher question on fluency/retention-Juliana

Beverlee Paul beverleepaul at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 01:00:42 EDT 2007

Sometimes it's difficult to accept that something counterintuitive could be
true, but this seems to be one case.  The trouble is:  It's hard to bring it
down to an individual and make decisions with it.

  > I'd like to know what the research has to say about EARLY retention.
I've> personally seen quite a few successes with retaining kinders and 1st
graders> (age/maturity being main issue). Does anyone know of any age
related> research on retention? > Just wondering.
I'm a bit behind on reading these posts.  I apologize if this has already
been answered.

When I was in graduate school, I did a review of the research on early grade
retention.  I fully expected to find that it was more successful than later
grade retention.  The research shows otherwise.  Students retained in
kindergarten or first grade show initial improvement, but these gains
disappear by 3rd grade.  While there are many lasting negative effects from
early grade retention, I could find no evidence to support any positive
long-term effects.  (Remember, we are not talking about individual cases
here, but about statistical significance for a larger group.)

Diana