[MOSAIC] retention versus early entry

Kinderjane at aol.com Kinderjane at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 13:53:40 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/1/2007 11:21:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
bonitadee61 at ca.rr.com writes:

Interesting study just out of rand corp that looks at entry  age/maturity of
kindergarterners. Study finds that older children do better  not because of
size or learning ability, but because of maturity and  background knowledge.

>From  Jane- Think about this- if you have only been alive for 5 years, a few
extra  months of living can make a big difference!  Some children turn 5 right
 before starting Kindergarten.  Others turn 6 right after starting
kindergarten.  There are exceptions to every rule, but in my 26 years in  Kindergarten
I have seen that the older ones often do better all the way  around.  Our
state's cut off for Kindergarten entry was November 1 when I  started teaching.
With the push from Kindergarten teachers it was  changed to Sept. 1 several
years ago.  It has made a difference.   Jane in SC :-)