[MOSAIC] Special Picture Book "Basket"

AOnieda at aol.com AOnieda at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 07:08:07 EDT 2007

I teach first grade and have always had books the children knew were  special
to me.  I do put them in a basket when we have shared them, then if  they
want to read one they have to go wash their hands and ask if they could  look at
my book.  I think children grow by knowing we love some books so  much they
are like a special toy to them.  I always have the discussion  about how
accidents happen and I understand that but if they loaned me their  favorite toy how
would they want me to handle it.  Always generates great  discussions.
I also tell them in general how handling books is a part of being older and
responsible because why would I want to replace a book I already have when we
could buy a new one just published. I think all this builds a real love and
respect of books especially my hard covers signed by authors!!   Nancy