[MOSAIC] Question from future teacher-Patrick

Renee phoenixone at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 7 11:42:24 EDT 2007

Hello Patrick,

Within your post, what I see is a basic question:  "Why throw out the
baby with the bathwater?"

In a classroom, there are many choices a teacher needs to make, and
many different teaching methods and strategies to choose from. Since
all children do not learn the same way, or at the same pace, it's
important to do everything we can to meet every child's needs. At the
base of these choices, for me, is a question to myself: What does this
really teach? For example, you mention copying vocabulary and
definitions from a dictionary. It is my opinion that this does not
really teach vocabulary in the most efficient way. It does address
dictionary skills and something we used to call "near point copying"
and maybe even penmanship. Do I think it harms anyone? No. Do I think
it's the best use of time? Also, no.

You also mention self-esteem. For me, self-esteem is something far
deeper, broader, and more far-reaching than making a child feel good
"at this moment" (although that may be part of it). I also know that
considering a child's self-esteem and teaching content are not mutually
exclusive.

I think you are asking good questions, and hope you will continue to do
so.

Renee