[MOSAIC] retention question

carlsonca at dist102.k12.il.us carlsonca at dist102.k12.il.us
Tue Aug 7 20:06:12 EDT 2007

I would agree, especially if the same teaching happens in the repeated grade.
In teaching, if a student doesn't get it the first or second time, we need
to find alternative ways to approach the content. Before the child is
retained, administration needs to determine if the learning environment
for the year is any different, are there alternate approaches. Or does the
child just need the learning in a different way?
Students are NOT THE SAME! This is one of education's problems because
that's the way the general public sees us. Students are not empty vessels
waiting to be filled. Students are individuals with different backgrounds,
different needs, different learning styles. No wonder teacher is so
exhausting. I know everyone on this list wants to touch every one of their
students, and that takes time, patience, and hard work. Just wish the
public would see how hard we all work to make learning for each and every
student.
Carol