[MOSAIC] bouncing e-mails

kmack at literacyworkshop.org kmack at literacyworkshop.org
Wed Aug 8 18:49:04 EDT 2007

We are seeing a large number of problems with member email servers
that cause members to experience "bounces". I still recommend gMail
<http://mail.google.com> as the best free program. I have yet to have
any problems beetween their servers and ours.

Basically members score a "bounce" any day where at least one message
can't be delivered. This can happen for a number of reasons, but
mostly it's due to a member's server not responding to our server.

After a member's bounce score exceeds 7 over a period of 2-3 weeks
they are "suspended". The system alerts members to this problem with
at least three messages before unsubscribing (deleteing) member from
the system.

I tried increasing the bounce score in late 2006, but ran into lists
sucking up huge amounts of server resources. This also impacts lists
and clients I have using this same server. So the bounce thing is a
"survival" method that is automated and critical to a healthy server
and happy clients.

For those interested here's a run down on continuing problems I see:

SCHOOL DISTRICT AND EDUCATIONAL SERVICE EMAIL PROVIDERS
Many schools choose to perform maintenance on their servers and it's
not uncommon for them to be down for a number of days or parts of
days. We also see a lot of "time outs" from these servers (like not
answering the phone). If you're not going to be checking mail almost
daily, then don't use these for list messagesw over the summer.
Schools also install new and (ahem) improved SPAM protection that will
often label list messages as SPAM and prevent delivery.

COMCAST, YAHOO, AOL
We are currently unable to send any mail to Comcast users - this has
just happened. Somehow Comcast has "blacklisted" our server's IP. I
checked with all the major blacklists and our IP does NOT appear. I've
tried to explain this and work with Comcast, but have yet to see a
reply from them. All Comcast members have been "bounced" off the list
over the last couple days. YAHOO members will often have messages from
our list delayed for a day or two because of a problem with their
system's ability or willingness to process list email. I frequently
see Yahoo messages waiting for several days becuase Yahoo servers
can't or won't process the emails. AOL is sparodic, but has been the
least problematic of these three in the last few weeks.

OK - so a bit of venting on my part, but I did want curious people to
know what some of the issues are. We do our best to get mail to
members, but there are SO MANY issues that are beyond my control and
also your control. These issues cause "bounces" which are generally
due to "time outs", down servers, or SPAM protection filters/programs.

You can help by making sure that your ISP or email provider knows that
you want mail from literacyworkshop.org and IP 65.99.221.16 (you can
ask for these to be "white listed").

As always, if you haved any problems with list messages and
membership, just email me.

thanks,

Keith Mack
Web Admin for Mosaic List