[MOSAIC] Reading question

Patty hathaway patty at hathaway.net
Thu Aug 9 21:09:40 EDT 2007

Okay, I have read all the recommended books, but am required to use a basal.
I can slip in a couple of novels throughout the year.  In the basal I ask
the students to read a page or two and stop and wait for everyone else to
finish. Then I ask them comprehension questions.  This is the way the basal
says to teach, and also the History book is done the same way. My major
problem with this is that some students read quickly and have to wait a
while for the others.  They tend to use this time for completing other
homework or to read something else.  I feel this may hinder them from
remembering what they just read.  I can't do groups, as I only have an hour
block to teach both reading and writing.  Is there a solution to this, or
does this seem ok?
Patty

-