[MOSAIC] small group instruction

carlsonca at dist102.k12.il.us carlsonca at dist102.k12.il.us
Fri Aug 10 09:56:31 EDT 2007

I taught junior high, both 7th and 8th since we looped with our students.
As others have said, you need to set up the routines in the beginning of
the year. make sure students understand your definition of silence; what
choices do they have while you work with small groups.
Also, keep your small group meetings short! Meeting with any group for
longer than 20 minutes is too long for the group, and too long for the
other students.
I really like Lori's idea of a rubric. I'd develop that along with the
students. If students are creating a rubric for the first time, I would
first brainstorm what needs to happen during reading workshop time. Then,
d ask students to begin compiling the highest rubric with descriptors.
Then, I'd go from there.
Carol