[MOSAIC] Dyslexia

Deb Kurns debkurns at comcast.net
Sun Aug 12 14:23:06 EDT 2007

I am a special education teacher.  Another way I have explained this parents
is to use a block cut out letter (we have an Ellison die cut machine) of the
letter b - flip the letter over to the right and it is a d - flip the letter
over again to the bottom and it is a q - flip it over again to the left and
it is a p. Some teachers stress the b/d confusion using the word bed - this
one is hard to write - if you use your hands to make a letter b with the
left hand and a d with the right hand and hold them together, you have a bed
with a headboard and a footboard.  Most of my children did not get this one
because the concept of headboard and footboard is unknown to them.  There is
a program called "Recipe for Reading" that uses a picture of a bat and ball
for the letter b and a drum and drumstick for the letter d.  I have placed
the b picture on the left corner of the student's desk and the d picture on
the right corner.  There is another saying b before c when looking at an abc
chart.
Personally, I use many hands-on activities using tactile items - for example
tracing with your finger a sandpaper letter, cutting the letter of out
needle point plastic canvas and have the students place a piece of paper
over it and rub with a crayon, using shaving cream or pudding to write the
letter in.  Handwriting without Tears has specific language for teaching the
formation of letters to reduce reversals.
Deb (SpEd in IL)