[MOSAIC] Dyslexia and comprehension

Joy jwidmann at rocketmail.com
Sun Aug 12 19:46:20 EDT 2007

Jennifer,
  My experience with students who have identified learning differences is that they learn the strategies more readily than students who do not struggle. I think it is because they have developed good listening skills to cope with their lack of decoding skills. They "get" the read/think alouds more quickly, and can apply them with ease with text they hear.

  We can't read reading tests aloud to our students in NC., so until their decoding improves they don't do well at all on standardized reading tests. Once they become more competent with decoding, they soar.

                Joy/NC/4
  jwidmann at rocketmail.com
  How children learn is as important as what they learn: process and content go hand in hand. http://www.responsiveclassroom.org