[MOSAIC] Dyslexia and comprehension

Joy jwidmann at rocketmail.com
Sun Aug 12 23:41:32 EDT 2007

I wonder if the adults struggled because they didn't want to appear "wrong" in front of other adults. Maybe they didn't feel comfortable taking risks. Maybe they thought they'd be ridiculed.

ljackson <ljackson at gwtc.net> wrote:  That is interesting. I recently team taught a class with our high school
literacy coach and she tried a couple of visualization strategies with our
adult students that she normally uses with the kids she works with--children
with cognitive impairments, reading disabilities and delayed readers. Her
kids had had no trouble with them and she was a bit surprised to watch the
adults struggle. I told her that I wondered if students with difficulties
reading (and decoding) don't, given the opportunity, rely more successfully
on alternative strategies. Here are the two activities:

One: Presented students with diagram (all labels stems there but with no
words) and supporting text. Students were asked to read and then to figure
out how to complete the labels on the diagram.

Two: Students were presented with vivid written descriptions of insect and
asked to draw them.

Lori

--
Lori Jackson