[MOSAIC] gifted cluster class

Renee phoenixone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 19 13:49:57 EDT 2007

Here are a couple of summaries of position statements from the National
Association for Gifted Education:

ADDRESSING AFFECTIVE NEEDS OF GIFTED CHILDREN
Educational and counseling programs must provide all children with
opportunities to develop understanding of themselves and their role in
society. Because, by definition, gifted children differ significantly
from others, these programs should be responding to the social
emotional or affective characteristics that distinguish gifted students
from others

DIFFERENTIATION OF CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
NAGC supports the provision of appropriate quality educational
experiences for all students across the spectrum of ability,
background, and achievement. The learning needs of gifted students
often differ from those of other students and should be addressed
through differentiation, a modification of curriculum and instruction
based on the assessed achievement and interests of individual students.

More complete statements can be accessed at
http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=375

The very idea that a district/school would create a gifted cluster
class and then mandate that the basal be strictly adhered to is really
absurd to the max, in my opinion.

Renee