[MOSAIC] textmapping Joy

Dave Middlebrook dmiddlebrook at comcast.net
Sat Aug 25 10:47:28 EDT 2007

The key is the scroll.  Lori's example of the picture walk is a good one.
She scrolls a picture book and lays it out on the floor.  Suddenly the kids
have a new way to access this story.  They can see the whole thing.  They
can look down at it from afar; they can get real close to it; they can walk
on it and roll on it.  They can look anywhere in the story at any time.  If
they see something interesting half way through the story, they can look
back to see if they missed anything earlier or they can look ahead to see
what happens later.  This is a real conversation-starter -- which is one of
the ways in which scrolls support MOT instruction.  A student can take a
friend's hand and walk them over to something that has caught her attention:
"Hey!  Look over here!"  You can take your class through a picture walk of a
scroll, and if something you point out sparks a connection to an earlier
part of the story, anyone who is curious can look back over the story to see
where that connection is -- and each of your kids is free to look wherever
they want in the book to find that connection since they don't have to wait
for you to page back through the story.  They can disperse to search and
then share what they have found.  Can you imagine 30 kids poring over a
scroll, conversing, looking for connections, asking questions, making
predictions?  It is chaotic -- but you will be amazed at the level of
engagement.  The chaos, in this case, is what you get when you cut loose 30
little minds and give them a "way in" to self-motivated, engaged thinking.
You don't get this kind of interaction -- or learning -- when you work
within the constrained environment of a bound book.  Scrolls are a very
supportive environment for MOT instruction.

Don't get too caught up in the marking/mapping.  Once you understand how to
use the scroll, you'll quickly figure out how the mapping works.  Start by
letting your kids spend some time with the scroll.  If you want to model the
strategies, try asking questions: Show them where on the scroll your
question was sparked and maybe even show them where on the scroll your
question is answered or where you find information that helps you answer
your question.  Make connections and predictions, all the while showing them
where on the scroll these things "happen" for you.  Talk about determining
importance -- and point to the scroll as you talk through your thought
process.  As you do this, be sure to walk back and forth along the scroll
and put your finger directly on the places that you are talking about.  And
as you do this, be aware of how your connection to the text and to the story
becomes more direct and physical -- how, as Lori said, ideas such as
beginning/middle/end become concrete and much more accessible.

The point of the scroll is that it invites interaction and engagement in
ways that simply are neither possible nor imaginable in the constrained
environment of the bound book.  My experience is that the instructional
benefits are immediate and tangible, but if that is not your experience --
if the word "tedious" enters your mind as you and your kids are working with
scrolls -- drop the whole thing like a hot potato.  Scrolls and textmapping
are only useful if they work for you -- for your teaching style and for your
kids.

My apologies for the thin explanations on the site.  Don't hesitate to
contact me if you have further questions.  I appreciate your willingness to
give this another try.

Dave Middlebrook
The Textmapping Project
A resource for teachers improving reading comprehension skills instruction.
www.textmapping.org   |   Please share this site with your colleagues!
USA: (609) 771-1781
dmiddlebrook at textmapping.org