[MOSAIC] questions for Dave, Joy, others on textmapping

Dave Middlebrook dmiddlebrook at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 20:52:54 EDT 2007

You asked, "Is it stretching it to have the kids "see" the entire story
before listening to it???? How will this affect their ability to
visualize??"

Some of the fun of a story is in the discovery, in the feeling that
something is just around the corner and not knowing what happens until you
get to the end.  Showing your kids the whole scroll before they've read the
story can take some of the wind out of their sails, but there are times
where it makes sense to let them see the whole thing and to look either back
or ahead as they wish.  There are at least three ways to cut this:
* Show them the whole story as a scroll, and work with them on previewing
the pictures and generating questions, connections and predictions.
* Unroll the scroll as you read, leaving exposed the parts you have read so
that your students can look back as they wish.  This has the advantage of
keeping alive the mystery of what happens next.
* Read the book first, and then use the scroll as the common text for
discussion.

With regard to visualizing, my experience is that scrolls result in a higher
level of engagement -- which translates into more engagement with sensory
imagining (visualizations, etc.).

Have fun with it!

Thanks for your interest,

Dave Middlebrook
The Textmapping Project
A resource for teachers improving reading comprehension skills instruction.
www.textmapping.org   |   Please share this site with your colleagues!
USA: (609) 771-1781
dmiddlebrook at textmapping.org