[MOSAIC] Fluency assessment question

CNJPALMER at aol.com CNJPALMER at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 07:33:05 EDT 2007

Christina
When faced with a child like this, there may be several reasons why he
guesses. You'll need to investigate further to find out which of these are
contributing to the problem.
1. the child doesn't have any decoding strategies except using context and
getting his mouth ready
2. he doesn't have enough phonics knowledge (make sure he knows most
consonant and vowel sounds)
3. He can't blend sounds...try some auditory blending activities to see if
he can blend... (You might for example tell him that you are going to say a
word  in secret code and see if he can guess it. You'd then go /c/  /a/  /t/  and
see if he can figure out the word is cat.
4. He lacks the confidence to apply the known decoding strategies or is in  a
text too difficult and he is giving up.
Jennifer

Jennifer
In a message dated 8/26/2007 8:58:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,