[MOSAIC] second grade homework

McBrooks at aol.com McBrooks at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 08:14:35 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am interested in hearing what people give for literacy homework each
night? Last year, I just had the kids do independent reading for 15 minutes and
write a couple of sentences about what they read. Sometimes I had them read
something aloud to someone else at home (if there was someone).

I rarely gave writing or grammar homework because it was difficult to
differentiate and keep up with checking it all. I also think 8 - 4 is a long  enough
school day for 7-8 year olds without dumping a lot of extra work on them  at
night.

I am planning on using Words Their Way this year, and Lucy Calkins  Units of
Study. We use the HM reading series, although I don't really use the  practice
books much.

I would really like to have a homework routine that is pretty much the same
every week, only with different content or skills. That way the kids and I
would  know what was expected. Last year I gave out a weekly packet on Monday and
 collected it Friday. This was great in terms of not spending 20 minutes
collecting and recording homework each day, plus for families who had
commitments some nights, they could do a little more the prior or next night to  make
up. I don't "grade" homework because children receive various degrees of  help
with it, so it's not really fair. I do record completion. The downside of  the
weekly packet is that I must rely on classroom observation to spot problems,
rather than on the homework. This really isn't a problem for me, though.

It does seem like the kids who put the most effort into homework are the  kids
 who need it least and have the most involved families. Is there a way
around this?

Your thoughts on homework? (And yes, we have to give it ;-)

Maggi