[MOSAIC] Fluency with fifth graders

Beverlee Paul beverleepaul at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:17:28 EDT 2007

And so much more authentic and effective than rereading the same doggone
passage over and over with one eye on a stopwatch.

The most effective way I have found to build fluency with fifth graders is
to partner with a younger grade and have them prepare stories to read to the
kids.  I model the way to read them to the little ones and we talk about
what will happen if they DON'T read fluently and with expression.  (You'll
lose those little ones).  Building fluency is just one of the benefits of
this partnership...We meet once a week for fifteen minutes and  it's the
best thing we do all year.