[MOSAIC] Read180 suggestions

Rodriguez, Tanya rodrigt at gcsnc.com
Fri Sep 17 13:58:02 EDT 2010


Hi Kathleen, 

I was a Read180 teacher for two years with middle school students grades 6-8. I had 45 minute blocks which was quite challenging. I did whole group and one rotation one day and then my remaining rotations the next day. The Independent reading center was the most challenging as far as getting the students to actually be independent and accountable. They kept a reading log of the date, book, pages read, and brief summary, question, or blurb about what they learned that day. They also completed quickwrites in their reading journals. The students new that I would check their reading logs when they came to small group. Once a week we would also have book talks about the books they were reading in small groups. This allowed the students an opportunity to share with the others books and also allowed me to monitor their comprehension.

Once they completed their book, quickwrites and comprehension pages as well, they logged on to the computer and took their quiz. If they passed, they turned their journals in to me and I took them home and responded. I wasn't editing necessarily, but looking for their use of higher-level thinking skills and comprehension. The kids really loved this become it became a dialogue between us and motivated my reluctant readers to complete books because they knew they would get a response from me. This was time consuming, but I feel that it made all of the difference in the end. 

These were not the most self-motivated students, but intrinsic incentives and motivation were ultimately most rewarding. My classes competed with each other for "most words read" and I also had charts on the wall where they recorded each time they completed a success zone. 

Let me know if you have any other specific questions or concerns that I can help out with. I'll try harder to jog my memory for more information that could be helpful to you. 

Tanya Rodriguez
Reading Specialist
High Point, NC

-----Original Message-----
From: mosaic-bounces+rodrigt=gcsnc.com at literacyworkshop.org [mailto:mosaic-bounces+rodrigt=gcsnc.com at literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf Of mosaic-request at literacyworkshop.org
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2010 12:00 PM
To: mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Mosaic Digest, Vol 49, Issue 15

Send Mosaic mailing list submissions to
	mosaic at literacyworkshop.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/listinfo/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org

or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	mosaic-request at literacyworkshop.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	mosaic-owner at literacyworkshop.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Mosaic digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: READ 180 (Laura Johnsrud)
   2. Re: READ 180 (Conner-Righter, Mary)
   3. Re: WIDA/DRA (bigstuffs3)
   4. Please unsubscribe (Beth Ailinger)
   5. Re: READ 180 (Mary Ann Walker)
   6. Re: Please unsubscribe (Mary Ricciardi)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:13:22 -0500
From: Laura Johnsrud <ljohnsru at sevastopol.k12.wi.us>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
	<mosaic at literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] READ 180
Message-ID: <C8B7AC52.2306%ljohnsru at sevastopol.k12.wi.us>
Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="US-ASCII"

Hi Kathleen:

This is my second year with READ 180 also.  Last year we started Stage A
with 4-6 grade and this year Stage B with 7-8 grade.  The biggest change
I've made is to have more checks and balances in place for the independent
reading rotation. Kids have and Independent reading checklist that needs to
be completed before moving on to the next book. So far, so good.

Laura Johnsrud
Reading Specialist
Sevastopol School
Sturgeon Bay, WI  54235



On 9/16/10 6:58 AM, "Ambrose, Kathleen" <kambrose at hbschools.us> wrote:

> Hello-- I am in the second year of implementing READ 180 in my school for
> Grades 7 and 8-- I am just looking to see if anyone else is implementing this
> program.... any feedback- what works for you? what doesn't work? I am always
> excited to hear how other people are using resources.... Thanks, Kathleen
> 
> Kathleen Ambrose
> Reading Specialist
> Hampton Bays Middle School
> _______________________________________________
> Mosaic mailing list
> Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
> To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
> http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
> 
> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
> 




------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:52:08 -0400
From: "Conner-Righter, Mary" <mrighter at pennsvalley.org>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
	<mosaic at literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] READ 180
Message-ID:
	<AANLkTintVRNQeVKK3=W8JBAH=A3o5-wJqHGe3EuWQs7k at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi Laura and Kathleen,
I'm just getting starting with Read 180 and System 44 with 4th and 3rd
grades, respectively.  We are about to finish Week 1!  I am feeling my way
with these programs!  We had a day of training for each program previous to
the start of school.
I'd be interested in your independent reading checklist.  That rotation
seems like it will be a management issue.  In fact, since I just have 45 min
with the students, I plan to use a whole group approach for the Independent
Reading center for the first half of the year.

Mary


On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Laura Johnsrud <
ljohnsru at sevastopol.k12.wi.us> wrote:

> Hi Kathleen:
>
> This is my second year with READ 180 also.  Last year we started Stage A
> with 4-6 grade and this year Stage B with 7-8 grade.  The biggest change
> I've made is to have more checks and balances in place for the independent
> reading rotation. Kids have and Independent reading checklist that needs to
> be completed before moving on to the next book. So far, so good.
>
> Laura Johnsrud
> Reading Specialist
> Sevastopol School
> Sturgeon Bay, WI  54235
>
>
>
> On 9/16/10 6:58 AM, "Ambrose, Kathleen" <kambrose at hbschools.us> wrote:
>
> > Hello-- I am in the second year of implementing READ 180 in my school for
> > Grades 7 and 8-- I am just looking to see if anyone else is implementing
> this
> > program.... any feedback- what works for you? what doesn't work? I am
> always
> > excited to hear how other people are using resources.... Thanks, Kathleen
> >
> > Kathleen Ambrose
> > Reading Specialist
> > Hampton Bays Middle School
> > _______________________________________________
> > Mosaic mailing list
> > Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
> > To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
> > http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
> >
> > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Mosaic mailing list
> Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
> To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
> http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
>
> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
>
>


------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:04:26 -0700 (PDT)
From: bigstuffs3 <bigstuffs3 at yahoo.com>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
	<mosaic at literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] WIDA/DRA
Message-ID: <572788.71516.qm at web33108.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8

My county does not use DRA, but do TRC and we've been going to the HIGHEST 
instructional level, so that we can find out the highest level for the child to 
receive instruction. We've just changed to the lowest instructional level, and 
though it takes less time, I don't like it. I don't think it shows all that a 
child can do. It also doesn't show as much of what they can't do for 
instructional purposes.

Michele S.




________________________________
From: Sandra Little <slittle at chartertn.net>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group 
<mosaic at literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thu, September 16, 2010 6:41:23 AM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] WIDA/DRA

Our district uses the DRA and has for a few years now.? They make us assess
the student's reading ability to the instructional level instead of
independent level.? Their thinking behind that change is that an
instructional level will be able to guide our instruction better.? I think
we're getting crazy scores because we're not using the tool for what it was
developed.? Any thoughts??

-----Original Message-----
From: mosaic-bounces+slittle=chartertn.net at literacyworkshop.org
[mailto:mosaic-bounces+slittle=chartertn.net at literacyworkshop.org] On Behalf
Of Hillary Marchel
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2010 9:59 PM
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
Subject: [MOSAIC] WIDA/DRA

WIDA is a K-12 ELP test-ACCESS for ELLs, to aid in the identification and
placement of ELLs. The WIDA Consortium includes 22 states which is grounded
in scientifically-based research on best educational practices in general
and English as a Second Language (ESL) and bilingual education in
particular, WIDA created and adopted its comprehensive ELP standards (2004,
2007) that address the need for students to become fully proficient in both
social and academic English. The WIDA ELP Standards along with their strands
of model performance indicators-which represent social, instructional and
academic language-have been augmented by TESOL as the national model.

DRA - (Developmental Reading Assessment)The DRA is a research?based
assessment used to determine the child?s independent reading level. It
enables teachers to systematically observe, record, and evaluate change in
student reading performance and to plan for and teach what each student
needs to learn next. The DRA helps teachers pinpoint students? strengths
and reading abilities.

Hillary Marchel Reading Specialist
Hawthorn Elementary North
Emailing for the Greater Good of Elementary North
marchelh at hawthorn73.org
We can take some gratification at having come a certain distance but it
should be a deeper satisfaction, even an exhilaration, to recognize that we
have such a distance still to go.
--LEWIS THOMAS


On Sep 15, 2010, at 5:59 PM, soozq55164 at aol.com wrote:

> I don't administer the WIDA. The ELL teacher does so I really can't speak
to it. I think that the two tests are apples and oranges and for different
purposes.
> S
>






_______________________________________________
Mosaic mailing list
Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.

Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.



_______________________________________________
Mosaic mailing list
Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.

Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.


      

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:45:22 -0400
From: Beth Ailinger <beth.ailinger at gmail.com>
To: mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
Subject: [MOSAIC] Please unsubscribe
Message-ID:
	<AANLkTimkRbu2Thm+D5SwWae9TC=NSzF2jcY33_WQ=iYg at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

-- 
Beth Ailinger


------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:15:28 -0500
From: "Mary Ann Walker" <brgal at yahoo.com>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group"
	<mosaic at literacyworkshop.org>
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] READ 180
Message-ID: <E6893C57843B431EB4C2705C102CC996 at MaryAnnPC>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=original

I started System 44 last February. I've made some changes this year and so 
far it seems to be working better.

We only allow 4th and 5th grade students to use System 44 in special 
education.

For the fidelity of the program, each student must be on the computer at 
least 20 minutes per day.

Our READ 180 classes are 4th and 5th grade bilingual students in general 
education. Because of the way this program is set up, the classes do not do 
Social Studies.

Mary Ann
Cy-Fair ISD
Houston, TX

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Conner-Righter, Mary" <mrighter at pennsvalley.org>
To: "Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group" 
<mosaic at literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 2:52 PM
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] READ 180


> Hi Laura and Kathleen,
> I'm just getting starting with Read 180 and System 44 with 4th and 3rd
> grades, respectively.  We are about to finish Week 1!  I am feeling my way
> with these programs!  We had a day of training for each program previous 
> to
> the start of school.
> I'd be interested in your independent reading checklist.  That rotation
> seems like it will be a management issue.  In fact, since I just have 45 
> min
> with the students, I plan to use a whole group approach for the 
> Independent
> Reading center for the first half of the year.
>
> Mary
>
>
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Laura Johnsrud <
> ljohnsru at sevastopol.k12.wi.us> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kathleen:
>>
>> This is my second year with READ 180 also.  Last year we started Stage A
>> with 4-6 grade and this year Stage B with 7-8 grade.  The biggest change
>> I've made is to have more checks and balances in place for the 
>> independent
>> reading rotation. Kids have and Independent reading checklist that needs 
>> to
>> be completed before moving on to the next book. So far, so good.
>>
>> Laura Johnsrud
>> Reading Specialist
>> Sevastopol School
>> Sturgeon Bay, WI  54235
>>
>>
>>
>> On 9/16/10 6:58 AM, "Ambrose, Kathleen" <kambrose at hbschools.us> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello-- I am in the second year of implementing READ 180 in my school 
>> > for
>> > Grades 7 and 8-- I am just looking to see if anyone else is 
>> > implementing
>> this
>> > program.... any feedback- what works for you? what doesn't work? I am
>> always
>> > excited to hear how other people are using resources.... Thanks, 
>> > Kathleen
>> >
>> > Kathleen Ambrose
>> > Reading Specialist
>> > Hampton Bays Middle School
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > Mosaic mailing list
>> > Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
>> > To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
>> > http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
>> >
>> > Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
>> >
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Mosaic mailing list
>> Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
>> To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
>> http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
>>
>> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
>>
>>
> _______________________________________________
> Mosaic mailing list
> Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
> To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
> http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.
>
> Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.
> 




------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 06:26:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: Mary Ricciardi <maryvee3 at optonline.net>
To: mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] Please unsubscribe
Message-ID:
	<25221688.1595068.1284719170302.JavaMail.maryvee3 at mstr22.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>
	
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed; delsp=no

Mary V. Ricciardi


September 17, 2010



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Mosaic mailing list
Mosaic at literacyworkshop.org
To unsubscribe or modify your membership please go to
http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.

Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive. 

End of Mosaic Digest, Vol 49, Issue 15
**************************************

This e-mail is for the sole use of the individual for whom it is intended. If you are neither the intended recipient, nor agent responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, any disclosure, retransmission, copying, or taking action in reliance on this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the person transmitting the information immediately. All e-mail correspondence to and from this e-mail address may be subject to NC Public Records Law which result in monitoring and disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement. 

In compliance with federal laws, Guilford County Schools administers all educational programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination because of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, color, age, military service, disability or gender, except where exemption is appropriate and allowed by law.  Refer to the Board of Education's Discrimination Free Environment Policy AC for a complete statement. Inquiries or complaints should be directed to the Guilford County Schools Compliance Officer, 120 Franklin Boulevard, Greensboro, NC  27401; 336-370-2323.




More information about the Mosaic mailing list