[MOSAIC] data collection for analysis~Aimsweb Reading

Richard Schroeder richardschroeder at u-46.org
Sat Sep 18 13:53:07 EDT 2010

Carol

Great point about asking teachers how the assessments impact their daily instruction. I'd also like to mention the idea that students should be aware of the assessments and how they are used by their teachers, parents, and students to set goals and work toward mastery of a reading concept, skill, etc. We try to show students the purpose of assessments at an early age, even allowing our intermediate students to plan activities that will promote their success. This gives the students some autonomy in their development, often leading to increased motivation.

Richard Schroeder
Principal
Spring Trail Elementary School
"What Little Thing Have You Done to Fill Someone's Bucket Today?"
>>> 09/18/10 10:54 AM >>>
It's so important to remember that districts need a variety of data in making instructional decisions. I agree that the Aimsweb is a reliable screening measure, but it doesn't measure what a child does with a real text in front of them. It's too bad we can't get a valid reliable measure that uses real books where students can use their strategies because that's our final goal.
It's great that your district at least re evaluates the data they are collecting and modifies when necessary. I know too many districts who just continue to use the assessments without asking teachers how it helps them in their daily instruction or evaluating the data and/or test to determine if it measures the district benchmarks/goals.

Carol