[MOSAIC] teaching the book vs. teaching the reader

Renee phoenixone at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 19 11:52:29 EDT 2010

I don't think this is an "either/or" situation. One can teach
comprehension strategies AND connect books students are reading to
other activities that supplement the understanding of plot, character
relationships, etc., and which may tap into other learning styles. The
visual learner might understand and remember plot structure better by
creating a visual timeline. The student who enjoys writing might make
more text-to-self connections by writing a poem that is related or
supplementary to the text.

I am not normally a supporter of activities that do not require
attention to content, no matter what area of the curriculum, but taking
all the fun out of school is a dreadful direction.

Renee

On Sep 18, 2010, at 10:03 PM, jvmazur at comcast.net wrote:

> I'm sorry to be argumentative, but I think that what you describe is
> an excellent example of teaching kids about a book (or piece of text).
> Instead of your 'fun activities,' I firmly believe that we should be
> teaching reading comprehension strategies to help our kids become
> better readers. My students love delving into text, applying reading
> comprehension strategies and discussing our thinking. We do not color
> or learn about books; we learn to be more proficient readers. Let's
> not teach the book, let's teach the reader.
>
> I have a very hard time understanding how this kind of post winds up
> on the Mosaic chatboard. I suggest you read Mosaic of Thought.
>
> Judy

"Learning  isn't a means to an end; it is an end in itself."
~ Robert A. Heinlein