[MOSAIC] Shelfari vs. Good Reads

michele guerrette michele.guerrette at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 14:32:30 EDT 2010

I have started using Shelfari with my students and it has worked well so
far. I belong to Goodreads as well, and I think they're equally as good. I
like the set up of Shelfari for kids because of the bookshelf that's shown.
 I sent a letter home and spoke with parents about the importance of knowing
where their child is on the internet and being with them. I've also
cautioned the students not to be friends with anyone except students in our
classroom (or other classrooms if you are doing it with other teachers),
since it is an open website. They also hear a lot about safety on the
internet from our technology person. The students do need to have an e-mail
address, but with permission from the parents they could set up a g-mail
account or other account.

Michele