[MOSAIC] Reading Workshop vs. Daily 5 / CAFE

Janel Atwell janelatwell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 20:47:27 EDT 2010

I just read Laura's response and agree with her.  The Daily Five is the
management piece, and adapts well to any grade level.  CAFE is a great guide
for teaching reading strategies.  As a coach and Title I teacher,  I've help
implement them both in our school.  They work perfectly with Fountas and
Pinnell's First 20 Days and Lucy Calkins---readers' and writers' workshops.
The "I" charts help students understand the purpose and procedures in each
component, encourage independent work and are should be constantly referred
to.  Students spend more time actually reading. However, you must be willing
to spend the time to really teach the procedures.  It will pay off in the
long run.

--
Janel Atwell